At Challenger we believe all gamers should have an opportunity to enhance their experience with cash contests without radically changing how/where/when they play. With this belief guiding us, we’ve built a first of its kind in-game contest engine that automatically tracks results for users and provides real-time notifications for scores. This is made possible through the combination of our Windows app for contest configuration and data collection, our AI (computer vision, deep learning, machine learning) to understand in-game interactions, and our python data processing running on a performant and scalable GCP tool chain.
As an Engineer at Challenger you will be able to use a combination of leading edge technologies to deliver an experience unlike any other in the video gaming market. We’re a small team of passionate technologists and gamers, chasing ambitious goals in a very fun industry that has not yet realized the potential of cash gaming.
You are energized and motivated by the opportunity to build cool software. You enjoy seeing your creation come to life and be used by thousands. You crave tough challenges in a super technical and collaborative environment that requires creativity and vision to navigate complex and sometimes ambiguous problems.
You are a Python pro with experience across multiple platforms and you’re looking for more, our multi-platform, multi-architecture system is the playground you’ve been looking for.
You are a talented, experienced software engineer with a handle on good software design, a knack for solving difficult problems in complex multi-component systems, and an interest in learning new things.
You are happy in a team-oriented environment where collaboration between developers and across teams is common; where giving and receiving of feedback, and constructive debate are actively encouraged. You feel a personal stake in the product you ship; with a passion for building great things and a drive to continually improve, be productive, and be proud of the work you deliver.
If this sounds like you, then join our team and let’s create something game changing!
About The Role
We are seeking a Python developer to join our engineering team and help us maintain and further develop the Challenger backend systems.
So what’s the environment look like? The core of the system includes numerous microservices (Django-based API setup) and processes that leverage data output from tensorflow models alongside our core contest engine. Your expertise with Python will be important to build and enhance our core data processing components, which play an essential role powering the rest of our connected solutions. (web portal and windows application)
You will be working with our cloud (GCP) and microservices infrastructure to improve data processing systems, create new components, optimize stability, scalability, and security. This may involve creation of additional APIs to provide necessary access to core systems.
To be successful in this role, you should have experience using advanced backend engineering techniques and work well in a remote team. You should be an expert in Python, real-time data processing and high scale configuration.
Ultimately, you’ll build and enhance:
- Services for highly responsive web and desktop applications that align with our business needs
- New data processing systems and improve functionality of existing systems
- Back-end components to improve responsiveness and overall performance
- Services to ingest and process real-time data from video games
- Development of infrastructure as code
- Write effective, scalable code
- Write and implement unit tests
- Develop back-end components to improve responsiveness and overall performance
- Integrate user-facing elements into applications
- Test and debug programs
- Improve functionality of existing systems
- Implement security and data protection solutions
- Coordinate with internal teams to understand user requirements and provide technical solutions
- Work within our SDLC including Jira, Git, and CI/CD (CircleCI) processes.
- Previous work experience as a Python software engineer
- Expert level skill in Python
- Expertise in at least one popular Python framework (preferably Django)
- CircleCI, Github, CI/CD expertise
- Knowledge of object-relational mapping (ORM)
- Strong analytical, communication and problem-solving skills
- Work effectively and thrive as a remote team member
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or relevant field